1. Sanal’s films have remained prolific statements on the contemporary society and while it could forever be debated if this indeed is the sole purpose of cinema, I would admit that the subtle and yet sturdy social commentary that accompanies his films is of prime interest to me.
2. The black humour that was so flamboyantly visible in ‘Ozhivu Divasathe Kali’ seems to have been attributed further dimensions in ‘Sexy Durga’, if the trailer is anything to go by. Eerie and downright disturbing, that was one helluva curtain raiser, for sure.
3. I have been astounded by the way in which Sanal abandons the conventionalities to cook up something brilliant. Just as you think the film maker might give in to the very obvious, he springs a surprise on you and this time, I hear he has a camera roving all around a moving van, and that for a film that had no script to bank on.
4. Sanal lucratively demonstrates how cinema as a prevailing and influential medium need not necessarily be restrained by a shoestring budget or by the dearth of stars. I am eager to see how that works out in ‘Sexy Durga’.
5. I wonder how much an accolade could be considered a yardstick of critical acclaim, but the fact that ‘Sexy Durga’ has won the Hivos Tiger Award at the Rotterdam International Film Festival just warms up my expectations regarding the film, even a bit further. That it has already been watched and appreciated by a judicious audience, is good news. And how could anyone forget that tweet by none other than Anurag Kashyap, lauding the film?